Close up of a diploma from The Hartford College
Evolution of the Law School

George W. Lillard and his wife, Caroline Eirmann Lillard founded the Hartford College of Law in 1921 as an independent evening law school. Classes were held five nights a week for the training of young men in the insurance business and others who wished to obtain a legal education.

1921 October 25, 1921 the first night classes are held in rented rooms in the Hartford Wire Works building on 94 Allyn Street in downtown Hartford.  The entrance requirement is a high school diploma.  The College is unaccredited and the students earn a certificate at the completion of their studies. Students are not eligible to take the bar examination
1922 February 1922, the College's office move to the old Hartford Life Insurance Company building on the corner of Asylum and Ann Streets and classes were held on the top floor of the Hartford-Connecticut Trust Company on 750 Main Street
1923 The College moves all its quarters to the Hartford-Connecticut Trust Company
1924 In June the Hartford College of Law graduates its first class, with six members.  J. Agnes Burns is the first female graduate admitted to the Connecticut Bar and the first female attorney to plead before The Connecticut Supreme Court of Errors on March 4, 1925
1925 The Connecticut General Assembly passed Special Act, 1925, Chapter 292, allowing the College to become a private educational institution.  On July 15th the incorporators of the College votes to accept the Charter
1926 The School moves to the Graybar building at 51 Chapel Street from 1926-1930.  For the first time the building allows space for a library.
1927 First pro bono program begins, with students working in the Hartford Legal Aid Department to gain practical experience through service.  This is the forerunner of the legal clinics which begin formally in 1969
1931 The School leases new quarters at 44 Niles Street from the West Middle School, its home until 1940. The Italian-Romanesque style building was built in 1895 and designed by architect Albert W. Scoville.
1931 On June 17th, the Lillards convey all their financial interest and transfer their stock in the Hartford College of Law Corporation to a Board of Trustees.  William Brosmith becomes President of the Board
1932 June 17th Farwell Knapp (1932-1933) is appointed part-time dean
1932 Roscoe Pound, Dean of Harvard Law School, spokes at the commencement ceremony. Pound's speech is seen as a symbolic act by the American Bar Association for accreditation. Half a year later the College is accredited
1933 On September 18th, the College earns official approval from the American Bar Association and accreditation from the Connecticut Bar Examining Committee.  Students are required to have two years of college work before entering law school. Future graduates are now able to sit for the bar examination
1933 Thomas A. Larremore (1933-1934) is appointed as the College's first full-time dean
1934 Edward Graham Baird (1934-1942) is appointed dean
1935 The Charter is  amended and the College is re-incorporated as a non-profit educational corporation under Special Act, 1935, Chapter 219
1935 Day Division program is established
1935 William F. Starr (1935-1962) is hired.  He will go on to start the alumni newsletter and become the first Professor Emeritus of Law
1935 The first annual alumni banquet is held
1936 The Department of Insurance is created under the College of Law
1937 December 7th the College receives accreditation from the Association of American Law Schools
1937 Daniel Fletcher is the first African-American male to graduate from the School of Law
1938 Nathan Burken Memorial Competition is established to award $250 to the student who writes the best paper on some aspect of copyright law. The Beatrice Fox Auerbach Foundation Scholarship (1952), the William F. Starr Fellowship (1962), and other scholarships follow and set a precedent for future prizes and awards
1939 May 16th Governor Bladwin signs a bill establishing the Hartford College of Insurance.  The Hartford College of Insurance, under the directorship of Harlan S. Don Carlos, is incorporated by the General Assembly under Special Act, 1939, Chapter 257
1940 The College purchases the Jacobus Mansion on 39 Woodland Street where it remains until 1964.  This was the home of M.W. Jacobus, who had been Dean of the Hartford Theological Seminary
1940 George W. Lillard passes away.  His portrait can be viewed in the Main Reading Room of the Starr Building
1940 December 20th Caroline Eiermann Lillard is appointed first law librarian.  In 1944 Margaret Taylor Lane became the next librarian until April 1946, followed by Leon Liddell (1946-1947), Dorothy Bidwell (1848, acting), Karl Punzal (1948-1955), George Skinner (1955), Eileen Murphy (1955-1956),  Shirley Bysiewicz (1956-1983), Dennis Stone (1983-1994), Sarah Cox (1994-1995,acting) and Darcy Kirk (1996-    )
1942 In August the University of Connecticut agrees to lease the Law and Insurance Colleges for five years
1942 Lawrence Justin Ackerman is named acting dean (1942-1946)
1943 On June 1, the Connecticut General Assembly authorizes a five-year lease of the College of Law & Insurance to the University of Connecticut
1944 Due to the American involvement in WWII, Day Division enrollment declines.  Classes are suspended in February and do not resume until February 4, 1946. Evening Division classes continue during this period
1944 The Starr Report, a student newspaper edited by the Student Bar Association and the Alumni Association, is published periodically during the academic year. Other student newspapers that followed: Legal Realist (1968-1974), Pocket Part (1974-1984), News (1985-1988), University of Connecticut Law School News (1984), J.D. (1989), Public Forum (1995-1998), University of Connecticut School of Law Newsletter (2000), Dicta (2000), Public Forum ( 1995-1998) and Pro Se (2007-    )
1946 In February, Dr. Bert Hopkins (1946-1966) is named dean
1947 The Board of Student Editors start to contribute to the Connecticut Bar Journal published by the State Bar Association.  In 1959, the Board of Student Editors become the Connecticut Law Review and continue to prepare a section of the Connecticut Bar Journal. In 1968 Dean Sacks announces that the Connecticut Law Review will become an independent publication. Subsequently the Connecticut Journal of International Law (1985), Connecticut Insurance Law Journal (1995), and the Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal (2000) begin publication
1948 The deed to the Hartford College of Law is presented to Albert N. Jorgensen, President of the University of Connecticut, marking the the Law School's final transition from private college to public university
1951 Robert J. Peyton becomes the only graduate of the Hartford College of Law, Class of 1932, and the University of Connecticut School of Law
1956 Shirley Raissi Bysiewicz, Class of 1954,  joins the Law School and becomes the first female tenured professor
1959 The Student Bar Association (SBA) is established to administer the Honor Code, sponsor the school's participation in the National Moot Court Competition, plan social and informal educational activities, and participate in regional and national conferences of the American Law Student Association
1962 Professor William F. Starr receives the first annual Connecticut Law Review award
1964 May 1st, Law Day, the campus moves to a spacious new building at 1800 Asylum Avenue in West Hartford designed by Frederic C. Teich
1964 The Student Board of Public Defenders and Legal Assistants is formed to aid indigent defendants and assist the Hartford Defenders Office. In the following years more student organizations are formed on campus including: the Adlai E. Stevenson Society of International Law Chapter (1966), BLSA (1969), WLSA (1972), ELS (1976), Gay Law Students (1980), LLSA ( 1983), SALS (2002).
1965 A National Moot Court Competition is established on campus and in 1966 the law school begins to participate in the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Competition
1965 The Alumni Association starts to sponsor an annual conference on the Survey of Connecticut Law. Other annual conferences follow and continue to this day: Insurance Institute (1977), Gallivan Conference (1991), Connecticut Law Review Symposium, Connecticut Journal of International Law Symposium, and Insurance Law Center Conferences.
1966 Professor Cornelius J. Scanlon is named acting dean (1966-1967)
1967 Howard R. Sacks (1967-1972) is named dean
1969 Under Dean Sacks, the Law School becomes one of the first to include a comprehensive clinical education program in its curriculum. The first clinic on campus is the Criminal Legal Clinic (1969) and additional clinics followed: Civil Clinic (1970); Legislative Clinic (1974); Law Related Education (1977); Mental Health (1978);  Administrative Law (1975); Judicial Clerkship (1975); Labor Relations (1981); Housing (1983); Constitutional Litigation (1983); Mediation (1994); Tax (1999); Asylum & Human Rights (2002); IP & Entrepreneurship (2007)
1972 Professor Francis C. Cady is named acting dean (1972-1974)
1972 Constance Belton Green, Class of 1972, is the first African-American woman to graduate from the Law School
1973 Bessye Bennett, Class of 1973, is the first African-American woman admitted to the bar in the State of Connecticut
1974 The University of Connecticut Law School Foundation, Inc. is established to administer funds raised by alumni campaigns
1974 Professor Phillip I. Blumberg is named dean (1974-1984)
1976 The Distinguished Visitor Program is established
1976 School of Law Press is established. It is believed to be the first law school press in the nation. Professor Leonard Orland's Connecticut Criminal Procedure is the first title published
1976 The law school starts the road to automation with its first Lexis computer terminal and in 1981 acquires a word processing system with three terminals.
1977 Four dual degree programs combining the JD with graduate professional training in the related fields of social work, business administration, public policy, and librarianship are established. In following years insurance law and public health are added to the dual degree program.
1978 On June 1 Governor Ella T. Grasso signs a bill authorizing the expenditure of State funds for the acquisition and renovation of the Hartford Seminary Foundation for the Law School.  The campus included five gothic buildings, designed by architects Allen & Collens of Boston, built by Bartlett & Brainard of Hartford from Connecticut Buckingham granite
1982 Law School faculty collaborate with the Law Faculty at the University of Exeter, England in arranging faculty and student exchanges. In the ensuing years additional opportunities become available in Aix-en-Provence, Berlin, Dublin, Exeter, Leiden, London, Mannheim, San Juan, Siena, Barcelona, Nottingham and Tilburg.
1984 The Law School moves to its current Elizabeth Street campus in the summer
1984 George Schatzki is named dean (1984-1990)
1985 The International Legal Program is established to encompass research, conferences, student/faculty exchanges, and a graduate program for foreign attorneys. In the following years the Insurance Law Center (1998) and the Intellectual Property Program (2001) follow
1986 Avery Hall is renamed the William F. Starr Building in honor of Emeritis Professor Starr
1989 Thomas F. Gallivan Jr. Professor of Real Property is the first endowed professorship. Today the Law School has 19 endowed chairs.
1989 Saul Levmore is the first lecturer in the Day Berry & Howard Visiting Scholar Program, established with the Connecticut Law Review
1990 Professor Hugh C. Macgill is named dean (1990-2000)
1992 The President's Office approves a separate commencement ceremony at the School of Law.  Previously the ceremony was held on the Storrs campus with a Convocation ceremony at the Law School.
1996 Justice Stephen Breyer speaks at the Law School's 75th anniversary celebration and dedication of the new Law Library building. Supreme Court Justices John Marshall Harlan, Arthur J. Goldberg, Anton Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg have also visited the law school
1997 The Center for Children's Advocacy and the Connecticut Urban Legal Initiatives, non-profit public interest law firms, are housed on campus
2000 Nell Jessup Newton is named dean (2000-2006)
2001 The Law School establishes certificate in Intellectual Property Law. Other certificate programs include Tax Law (2002), Human rights (2007) and Public Policy law (2007)
2006 Hartranft Hall is re-named the Cheryl A. Chase Hall in honor of Cheryl Chase
2006 Professor Kurt Strasser is named interim dean (2006-2007)
2007 Professor Jeremy R. Paul is named dean (2007-2012)
2007 Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder Trial Courtroom in Starr Hall is dedicated
2010 April 14th the School of Law Library is dedicated and named the Thomas J. Meskill Law Library after Judge Thomas J. Meskill, Class of 1956, former US Congressman (1967-70), former governor of Connecticut (1971-75) and  federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, where he served until his death in 2007.
2012 Board of Regents accredits the SJD program and the first doctoral candidate in the LL.M Program in U. S. Legal Studies is enrolled for spring 2013
2012 Professor Willajeanne McLean is named interim dean (2012-2013)
2013 Timothy Fisher is named dean (2013-    )