Students may borrow circulating items for 90 days, and items can be renewed once. However, much of the collection is non-circulating, and must remain in the library for all to use. This is because legal research materials work together like a complex machine: for the whole to function, all of the parts must be there.
Items that do not circulate include:
- primary sources (statutes, case reporters, and administrative regulations)
- looseleaf services
- reference materials
For more information about borrowing from the library, please ask at the Circulation Desk.
The Law Library strives to make material available for research purposes to all of our patrons. As a result, strict circulations periods apply. Failure to return library material on its due date will result in accumulating fines. Lost material is subject to replacement costs, in addition to a processing fee. Please see the list of fees below:
- $2.00 / hour
- $5.00 / day until returned
- Items are billed when 60 days overdue
- $5.00 / day until returned; maximum of $70
- Items are billed when 14 days overdue
- If billed, lending library's charges and $75 processing fee.
- Items are billed when 60 days overdue. Replacement cost of item and $75 processing charge.
- Out of print books and serials are charged at $250 plus the $75 processing charge.
- At the discretion of the Head of Access Services, customers may arrange to provide a comparable hardcopy of item instead of paying the library's billed price of the item. Acceptance of the hardcopy item is at the discretion of the library. The $75 processing charge will be charged.